Is vaping safe? Are there any side effects? Are e-cigarettes safer than smoking and do vapes prevent people from starting smoking? In the wake of the vaping epidemic that has been gripping America, I was curious about what the research said. In this episode (episode 14) you will learn what I discovered when I investigated the research on e-cigarettes – what we know and what we still don't know. My hope is to help the parents of kids who are vaping or who are curious about it.
- Myth of the week: does lifting weights stunt growth of kids?
- How many people have been harmed by e-cigarettes
- What is causing the vaping lung problems?
- How old do you need to be to buy e-cigarettes?
- How do teenagers buy vapes?
- Do teenagers know the ingredients in e-cigarettes?
- E-cigarettes warning labels
- Who should not use e-cigarettes
- what vape flavors are considered harmful?
- how does glycerine work in e-cigarettes?
- Is nicotine safe?
- Is vaping safe?
- What about e-cigarette explosions?
- Does vaping reduce smoking?
- What are the biological effects of e-cigarettes in the body?
- Is second-hand vape smoke safe?
- Quote of the week
- How Do Adolescents Get Their E-Cigarettes and Other Electronic Vaping Devices?
- Teens and E-cigarettes (NIH)
- Association of Electronic Cigarette Use With Subsequent Initiation of Tobacco Cigarettes in US Youths
- Update: Interim Guidance for Health Care Providers Evaluating and Caring for Patients with Suspected E-cigarette, or Vaping, Product Use Associated Lung Injury — United States, October 2019
- Vaping-related illness has a new name: EVALI
- Nearly 1,300 injuries and 29 deaths in the U.S. have been tied to vaping
- Use of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) impairs indoor air quality and increases FeNO levels of e-cigarette consumers
- Flavored e-cigarette liquids and cinnamaldehyde impair respiratory innate immune cell function.
- The role of E-liquid vegetable glycerin and exhaled aerosol on cue-reactivity to tank-based electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS).
- Acute Impact of Tobacco vs Electronic Cigarette Smoking on Oxidative Stress and Vascular Function.
- Metal Concentrations in e-Cigarette Liquid and Aerosol Samples: The Contribution of Metallic Coils
- The Dangerous Flavors of E-Cigarettes
- A systematic review of consumer preference for e-cigarette attributes: Flavor, nicotine strength, and type.
- Near-fatal intoxication by nicotine and propylene glycol injection: a case report of an e-liquid poisoning
- Exposure Calls to U. S. Poison Centers Involving Electronic Cigarettes and Conventional Cigarettes—September 2010–December 2014
- This teen's vape exploded, shattering his jaw (CNN)
- Electronic cigarette explosion and burn injuries, US Emergency Departments 2015–2017
- Florida man dies from exploding electronic cigarette: Autopsy (ABC News)
- Recent Research Sheds New Light on Why Nicotine is So Addictive (NIH)